The “New Church” is part of the neoclassical town that Charles III intended to build next to the port of Els Alfacs as part of a plan corresponding to the physiocratic ideas prevailing at the time. The royal town was founded on 6 November 1780.
The original project, which was never carried out, would have resulted in an important monumental complex. Unfortunately, the king’s death, Floridablanca’s loss of prominence and economic and administrative disorder meant that only a few half-completed sectors were built.
There is no document indicating that the so-called New Church, located at the southern end of the town, was built as a church. Its structure can actually be identified with that of contemporary buildings devoted to administrative functions. Neither is it known who designed it or who supervised its construction.